This distillation of five leadership essentials comes from a meta analysis of leading thought leaders.
- You need to be a strategist that has a position about the future
- You have to be a executer who gets things done
- You need to be a talent manager who manages and engages people
- You need to be a human capital developer who looks to the future and develops the future of the people in organizations
- You need to demonstrate personal proficiency by taking care of yourself.
These leadership essentials closely align with the nine attributes of leadership I have described in STILE Points 15,17 and 18. I particularly like his discussion on #5 -personal leadership. Pay particular attention to his anecdote about using a separate family phone and turning down a consulting lead with a Board of Directors to keep a commitment with his daughter. I regret that I never did this during my corporate career.